Tuesday, March 27, 2007

convenience crafting

Little Man attended a birthday party for one of his preschool friends tonight. The honoree was a girl turning five. Since I have absolutely no clue what the cool gift for girls at this age is, I asked my mother-of-three-girls-neighbor for some suggestions. A few days ago Little Man & I headed to the local Le Tar-jay and picked up some Polly Pockets based on my friend's comments and LM's ideas (he wanted something with animals in it so we got a set with dogs & cats...I think the doll is supposed to be a vet?).

I wanted to use one of my already purchased little totes for a gift bag, but it looked soooo boring as is. It needed some gussying up!

day 81 of 365/photo a day

I sewed up a couple of "yo-yos" from scrap fabric pieces and added vintage buttons. Originally I was planning on embroider the little girl's initial on the bag, but after about six tries I gave up. I was attempting to put Monkey Boy down for his nap and did all the sewing in the rocking chair in his room (getting up every 10 minutes to tell him to close his eyes and go to sleep). You can probably tell how distracted I was by the somewhat wonky embroidered stems:

yo-yos closeup

Whew, that's some mighty messy stitching! Oh well, I still think the bag came out pretty cute. And the project lasted long enough for Monkey Boy to finally fall asleep- how convenient!

7 comments:

Jo said...

Polly Pockets - good choice. Very popular with my 3 and 6 year old. Very sweet little bag too.

Anonymous said...

Yep, can't go wrong with ol' Polly.

I love the colours you've used on the flowers, and how you've grouped them. It turned out great.

LLA said...

You say "somewhat wonky" - I say "absolutely adorable!"

I love the way that this turned out - I am sure that the birthday girl will be thrilled!

Adrienne said...

VERY CUTE!

clothesknit said...

Wonky? I think it is adorable and I'm sure the recipient will love it!

Christie said...

Very cute bag. Way to set this little girl on the right path...the path of cute accessorization!

Kimberly said...

I don't see any wonky-that is sooo cute. Great job.