Monday, March 05, 2007

blooming feet socks DONE

After much ripping, some cursing and about three sets of toes, I finally finished my Blooming Feet pal's socks!

blooming feet socks DONE

These were are a simple twisted rib from Sensational Knitted Socks. My pal had warned me that she had big feet (size 10) so I was nervous about knitting something lacy or complicated for fear that I wouldn't get done in time. The ribbing was easy enough (a two row repeat), and I jazzed it up by using some of my own handspun. The orange handspun is BFL from Dicentra Designs. I picked up the purple/orange handspun from LPK for contrast and because the completely orange sock incarnation of these was just too ORANGE.

It's really difficult to knit a pair of socks for someone when you can't get them to try the socks on as you go. I had my pal's basic foot measurements and I'm confident the socks match them, but you never really know if they're going to fit till the recipient puts them on!

I had to rip the toe of the first sock out three times, and the toe of the second sock twice due to some silly mistakes on my part. Plus I wanted the socks to be perfect because they were for someone else. If they had been for me, I would have had no problem with the mistakes I'd made....but no way was I going to send them off with 'oopsies' in them!

Now that the socks are done, I can look for some fun little surprises to throw into my pal's package before I mail them off. And I can't wait till I get my own pair of Blooming Feet socks from *my* pal!

13 comments:

marirob said...

Very pretty! I'm sure your pal will appreciate the time and effort that went into making them!

clothesknit said...

i love them! i might have a serious crush on those -- they're so colorful and made of handspun. great job sheree!

margene said...

What a lucky pal! Handspun no less. I'm afraid my handspun wouldn't be a prize:-)

Woolfairy said...

I love the color on the socks. So wonderfully cheerful! I love seeing your handspun things.

Anonymous said...

Wow! They're gorgeous! I particularly like the heel/toe contrasts.

Adrienne said...

These are VERY pretty!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! And such springy colors!

KaKi said...

Your socks are gorgeous! I LOVE those colors! I am knitting the same pattern! I really like it.

Teyani said...

bright and springy - they look so cheerful, your pal will love them!

Anonymous said...

Your blog completely inspires me. I always want to go home and create after reading it. I absolutely adore the patchwork scarf you made. And now i am determined to learn to knit. Any suggestions on where to start.

Anonymous said...

I really like the contrasting toe and heel! And it's very cool that you used some of your own handspun!
I know what you mean about wanting socks for someone else to be perfect. I had to rip out about 20 rows of the Blooming Feet socks I'm working on- just for a simple mistake in the heel. If they were for me, I might have look over it. But not for someone else you knits socks too. Even though it's doubtful my pal would even notice!

Anonymous said...

They are delicious...absolutely delicious. You have a very lucky pal.

Lisa said...

Ooooo - handspun. How wonderful! And the color is awesome - very springlike and cheery!