Sunday, January 15, 2006

Is there a Socks Addicts Annonymous?



I've been eyeing the Waving Lace Pattern from IK for quite a while, but couldn't find the right yarn to use. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a solid colored yarn kinda gal. If it's not varigated I'm probably not intererested. This especially goes for sock yarns. But the Waving Lace socks looked like they would be much prettier with a solid color than with a painted yarn so I've been putting the pattern off till I found the right yarn.

Looking thru the stash last night, I pulled out this gorgeous Highland Silk from elann with the Waving Lace socks in mind. Then I realized that I would have to do some *shudder* MATH, since the pattern calls for sock weight yarn and the Highland Silk is DK weight. After some swatching, I went with:
-reducing the stitch count from 64 to 56
-using US2 DPNs instead of the called for US1
-cutting out one full pattern repeat

So far so good I think. It won't be as 'lacey' as the picture shows, but I've already tried the sock on and it looks pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see these done. Yes, sockoholics allows new members all the time.

Unknown said...

No SAA that I'm aware of, however you can track your addiction and compare with friends http://knittogether.blogspot.com/2006/01/count-your-socks.html I haven't done it yet, but I'm starting personal sock fest...