Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sad mommy moment or fashion statement?


Pre-kiddos and mommyhood, I never understood it when a mom said "I'm lucky if I get to wash my hair every day." I mean, how hard can it be to take a shower and wash your hair? I'm pretty low maintenance so it usually only takes me 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour to get ready for a typical day. How can you not find 20 minutes to get showered and dressed?

Then Little Man came along, and I was blessed with a baby who not only needed to be held ALL THE TIME, but also had a lovely case of colic. He screamed pretty much 4-5 hours a day no matter what we did. Even when I held him, he was prone to screaming fits. It was No Fun At All, lemme tell ya.

I learned pretty quickly that I had to get up in the wee hours to have enough time to get into the shower. If The Dearest wasn't home, I wasn't likely to have more then 3 minutes to myself to take a pee, nevermind 20 minutes to shower and get dressed. You know that woman in the mall wearing a baby in a sling, dressed in spit -up stained jeans, an o-so fashionable nursing shirt and pushing an empty stroller? The same lady who looked like she hadn't slept more than 2 hrs straight in a year?

That was me.

Well, life has improved since then and I can usually manage to shower pretty much every day. I may not be the height of fashion, but I won't get mistaken for a homeless person. But fashion faux pas are pretty common in this household....

Yesterday I finished blow drying my hair, rounded up the boys and headed out the door for a playdate. On the way out, I saw my neighbor and stopped to talk to her about the new front door they were putting in. While we were chatting, I noticed that the contractor kept staring at me and I had to do a mental check-
Fly zipped? Check
Wearing a bra? Check
Boobs actually tucked into bra? Check

What could it be?

My neighbor's eyes kept wandering to the top of my head- what is she looking at??? Finally I realized that I was still wearing the hair scrunchy that I put in each morning to hold the hair on the crown of my head up while I blow dry the rest. In other words I looked like some what like this
So....sad mommy moment or fashion statement? You decide.

4 comments:

knitties said...

Well... bows are very in this year...

Anonymous said...

I vote for fashion statement....

TOO FUNNY!

Obsessed with knitting said...

I don't know what's funnier - your story or my imagining your googling for that picture of that dog with the bow on the internet.

Elspeth said...

I'd say fashion statement. As Pee Wee Herman used to say "I meant to do that!"